SailNet Community - View Single Post - Kiwi prop --- feathering
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010

sailIC is on a distinguished road
Before everybody think the Kiwiprop is the best thing since sliced bread, below is the thought process I went through before buying one. Here is to me a simple summary of the different pros/cons by prop type

Fixed
Pros: Best engine performance, reliable, cheap
Cons: Huge drag when sailing

Folding:
Pros: Lowest drag when sailing, Medium price
Cons: Poor engine performance especially reverse, reliability

Feathering:
Pros: Almost as low drag as folding, almost as good by engine as fixed
Cons: Very expensive

The really good thing with the Kiwiprop is the price. I think thatís the main reason why you buy it. I do think other much more expensive feathering props has slightly lower drag but the Kiwiprop is huge improvement over fixed.

When I got it I was also very impressed by the simplicity of the design. Aside from braking the replacable blades, I cannot see what can break.

I cannot understand why the propwalk almost disappeared. It might have something to do with that when the blade flips it will have the same leading edge both forward and reverse. Also (if I remember correctly), the reverse pitch (not adjustable) was very high. Might have something to do with it, but it did work.

The only negative that surprised me was that the propeller rotated whilst sailing. Cannot understand why it did with freely feathering blades, but it has to generate some resistance. Easily fixed by putting the gearbox in reverse, but I heard of problems if you have a hydraulic gearbox.

All in all, I would definitely buy it again.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook