SailNet Community - View Single Post - Moving out
Thread: Moving out
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
older boats ar egreat especially for a youngun like yerself--lol--i live on board a formosa 41--lol--lots of room inside and sails as well---can go anywhere ... the slip fees are still smaller than renting an apartment--living on land is very spensive.....some folks donot enjoy living on boats so they will always promote land residences--others have plenty of money so they promote expensive boats--some have smaller incomes and promote .....
every one is different --is why this world is interesting----walk docks and cruise yachtworld to look for boats you like the lines of---then seek a boat not being sold by a broker--lol---they need their commission so they will promote that which will yield most dough for them...there are many boats in fla for sale---just have to look for what YOU like---donot rely on the opinions of others---lol you will have to live with the results--they dont!!!! there are many makes and designs of boats--look inside and outside the boat for what you like....goood luck.....i have owned for residences many boats in different cali locales---lol----i like the formosa the best--is most flexible as for use....westsail is also a decent boat--much headroom....heavy for long range cruising--in fla there are many places to go for cruising--so that may be a factor for you to consider....if you like the plastic fantastics, there are many to choose from --but do not expect them to be deep blue water ready or even blue water capable!!!! the hinkleys and swans ans masons are high dollar boats yet the over all problems with them include the aging and disrepair of wooden decking--lol---same as formosa and hardin and force..LOL....also known as leaky teakies--i love my leaky teaky and prefer the old time look of her..lol....i also own a 35 ericson---lol...is a more modern look and is fast and goood for coastal cruising and catalina/island hopping..short range as the water and fuel tanks only hold 20-25 gal each--much to look for in a boat--narrow down the basic kind of boat you desire--whether a coastal cruiser, weekender or long range cruiser--takes some time to really get a good handle on what you truly want...how much depth , how much beam, how far can it go without a fuel stop or water stop...how much "stuff" can it carry--lots to consider--have fun--looking for the right boat is just as much fun as sailing it!!!!.

as far as high end and low end---depends on pricing lol...the high end boats are expensive and keep value for the most part--low end is cheeeepo and acts it..lol...then there are the tough old birds--formosa and ct and westsail--that are heavy and most always able to be repaired so as to be deep blue seaworthy....do get a survey of the boat you intend to purchase--as the survey is on th ebuyer--make good and sure you really want to get into the boat before buying the survey unless you have more bux than ..........

Last edited by zeehag; 03-08-2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: boatkat isunt awake and broakd speelchix...lol
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook