SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fibreglass fracture at keel/hull joint
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010

GlacialEratic is on a distinguished road
Fibreglass fracture at keel/hull joint

I need some sage repair advice. My 1985 Pearson 303 has an internally ballasted keep. I bought it on the hard last april and had to have it transported about 50 miles from 'there' to 'here' last June 1 when it was launched. While I didn't do an inspection between the time the hauler picked it up and delivered it before it hit the water, I soon thereafter identified a weeping leak into the bilge. Leak rate was about a couple gallons inth recessed bilge in 24 hours, and identified the entrance point where the rear of the bilge recess ended, at the top where the recessed area met the hull at the aft end of the bilge. When it was hauled in October I saw a significant crack in the fibreglass exterior at the rounded aft end of the keel at its upper point where that trailing edge meets the hull. Can't tell the depth of the crack but it extends about 2 inches on both port and starboard faces of the keel starting at a point a couple inches below the hull/keel joint and at a 45 degree angle upward as it extends forward.

I've been reading the West System manuals in anticipation of a fix and have this question. How do I determine what different weights / types fibreglass fabric to use to lay up this repair after I grind open the fibreglass to see the extent (depth) of the damage?

Any words of wisdom or experience out there? Launch is May 15 and the weather here is ALMOST good enough to start this and all the other minimum requirements for pre-launch maintenance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook