SailNet Community - View Single Post - Moving out
Thread: Moving out
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
... the slip fees are still smaller than renting an apartment--living on land is very spensive.....some folks donot enjoy living on boats so they will always promote land residences-- ..........
It isn't promoting land residences when pointing out the fallacies in such an opinion as land residences being more expensive. You have a large boat so maybe you can rent an apartment that gives you the same volume but for smaller boats, like those in the 30í range, all apartments will be huge with much more living space and amenities.

Apples to apples would mean comparing slip fees to rooms, not apartments, houses and as some have mansions. It would also be small rooms that do not require tens of thousands of dollars be invested and risked before renting.

In the town just up the hill for the same cost as my slip fees, I can get a pretty good sized room that is larger than my boat in volume. I know I looked at them for winter use. In more than one case I would have access to my own washroom and shower. Included would be electrical and heat and I would not have to haul water for two months out of the year or walk 1km for a trip to the washroom.

Of course we love boats so we tell ourselves how much cheaper they are which is fine, I do the same but it isnít fair to suggest to someone that we donít do that. We make it cheaper by accepting the lack of amenities or comfort because we see in this life something more important and nicer than money.

Which is what the OP seems to be after so Iím sure he can make it work, even if it costs more, which it very well might.
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook