SailNet Community - View Single Post - Big Freakin' Sails
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010

mackconsult is on a distinguished road
I have a good one.

2006 Oregon Offshore in May on a Mumm 30. 5 of us set out on Thursday to do the race and then turn around and deliver back. It was a cold beat up the coast and I think all of us got seasick. We turned the corner at neah bay and flew a chute (going as much as 15 knots at times) into Victoria. As soon as we crossed the finish line we turned the boat around and headed over to Port Angeles to drop crew off, fuel up, get ice/food.

Then off we motored head to wind pounding threw the waves in the straights of the Juan dE Fuca. We consumed almost all of our fuel getting out of the straights, (light boats are better sailing in those conditions, but only if you have crew to put on the rail). By the time we got around Neah Bay, we only had a couple of gallons of fuel, and the wind had completely died. We continued chugging down the coast, thinking we might have to head into an mid point port for fuel but still praying for some wind.

I found a crab bouy, then another ...... I followed the crab line and ran across a 60 ft crab boat. We asked them if we could buy some diesel, they said sure. So I took the captains unopened bottle of whiskey, and taped a $20 on the outside. We threw a line over to them and on the other end tied the bottle of whiskey, and a fuel can.

The crab boat was so happy, they gave us fuel, and then offered a 30 lb cod fish. We had to decline because there is no refrigeration on a mumm 30.

An hour later 25 knot NW filled in and off we went at about 12 knots under spinnaker. It was one of the most awesome deliveries I have had going 80 miles in about 6 hours.

The pinnacle of this delivery was getting to the Columbia River bar at around 8pm. We then found we didn't have the charts on board, so I drive the boat from red bouy to red bouy on an outgoing tide in dark under mainsail. We shined a flashlight on each bouy and used dead reckoning to go bouy to bouy. The south side of the jetty is where one wants to be till you get inside then you switch over to the green bouys to avoid the shoals on the south side.

Skipper said he almost had a heart attack ...... but we where fine.
05 2500 140" sprinter van w/ v3 frybrid kit
08 Laser Pro #194171

Sail Smart, Sail Hard, Then think about Sailing Fast !!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some day I will sell everything, buy a 50 ft sailboat, and turn left at the Columbia River Bar
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mackconsult; 03-09-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook