SailNet Community - View Single Post - Moving out
Thread: Moving out
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by solman55 View Post
I called the local marina and they said like 100 a month so I think I am going to go for it.
Is that for a mooring or a marina slip? I seriously doubt that you can get a liveaboard marina slip for $1200 a year. There is a big difference between living aboard a boat on a mooring versus one at a slip.

On a mooring, you will need to use the head on the boat more than you would if you are at a slip. This means you need to have a perfectly functioning head or you, your boat and your stuff will smell like sewage. You will also have to pump out your holding tank far more often.

On a mooring you won't have access to shore power. This means you will need to have some sort of passive electrical generation to re-charge your batteries—either solar or wind. IMHO, using your engine to recharge your batteries is unwise. This also means you won't have easy access to cable TV or 110 VAC, which is often available at a slip.

On a mooring, you're also going to have to consider how you're going to get to and from the boat. Either you'll need to have a dinghy or use a launch service. Going grocery shopping, getting water, etc is all more complicated when you live on a mooring. Getting to the boat or off the boat is a lot more difficult in heavy weather. Owning a dinghy gives you more flexibility, but using a launch service is more convenient. However, using a launch service means that the hours you can get to or leave your boat are limited.

If you haven't considered all of this, you probably should before making the leap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook