SailNet Community - View Single Post - Status of my boat search - Catalina 28
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010

NickPapagiorgio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnA View Post
Kevin -

Thanks for your comments. It is a nice place, and the people are really friendly and approachable. As you mentioned, it is about as north as you can get in the Chesapeake. We even have a decent racing scene, which includes all skill levels from first time racers (and sailors) to boats that have won hardware in the Governer's Cup.

Frankly, I had never heard of the town North East until I found my first boat there. I am glad that I did, because it really is the closest sailable part of the Chesapeake to my home. (It's also nice because we can sail right off the docks. No need to motor down the river to get to the bay before you can hoist the sails!)

The rates are fairly reasonable. A yearly membership is $600. If you keep your boat there, the slips range from $1760/year for a 20' slip, $2680 for a 30' slip, up to $4400 for a 50' slip. (The prices are hidden somewhere on the website).

If you are interested, try coming down for a visit when the weather turns warm. Sail race days are usually good a good time. They run on Saturdays starting in May. You can either contact me off line, or just show up at the club. As I mentioned, the people are really friendly.
CapnA,

Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing a shallow (I believe unmarked??) channel up the eastern side of the north portion along Elk Neck State Park. My wife and I and some friends usually charter a boat out of Harve De Grace every year so I'm pretty familiar with the area. We've taken the last couple of years off though because one of the couples we go with got pregnant the year before last and the other couple got pregnant last year. We're also taking this year off because my wife is pregnant (with our first ), but I definitely plan to get back out next year. Anyway, it's been a while since I looked at a chart so my memory may not be the best.

I'd love to check out the marina in the spring. I'm assuming you wont be heading down until the weather breaks a bit??

Kevin
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook