SailNet Community - View Single Post - striping tape?
Thread: striping tape?
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010

capttb is on a distinguished road
In general, striping tape is a vinyl based general purpose material in that it is used for cars, boats, signs etc. Various manufacturers including 3M, I have some now from a company called Lilly. It comes in 150' rolls at about $75 US if I remember right. The hardest part of the job is removing the old tape, and it must be removed, I use a warm sunny day, heat gun, and new (fresh edged) disposable plastic putty knives. Start lifting the tape at a corner, you want it just warm enough to pull the tape off slow and gentle. Too fast or cold it snaps and you start over, too warm it melts or just comes apart. Then clean the remaining adhesive off with a solvent, denatured alcohol works.
You put the new tape on with a small squeigee (? you know what I mean) and a squirt bottle with slightly soapy water. The tape in first picture looks too light because it still has the backing tape on which you remove after it dries.
I've never had a problem with it coming off, and seems to last as long as paint in the sun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of Copy of Aug 1 sailboat 007_edited.jpg (43.2 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of Aug 1 sailboat 016_edited.jpg (68.7 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of Aug 1 sailboat 019_edited.jpg (36.4 KB, 185 views)