SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Honda eu2000i and air conditioning

116K views 85 replies 45 participants last post by  stans2000 
#1 ·
Honda eu2000i and Air Conditioning

Just heard about a new product from Dometic. It's called a SmartStart controller. It reduces the amount of amps needed to start an air conditioner by 65%. I spoke to a tech from Dometic, who seemed to think, that a Honda 2000 could run a 16,000 btu Cruisair a/c. The cost for this unit is about $360. Sounds interesting. Sure would keep my wife "happy". Has anyone heard anything about this. It's only been available a few months.
Marc

#33 ·
Anything new with the smartstart? anyone install it yet? My honda EB3000c has a hard time starting my 16,000 unit. It usually takes a few tries. Is it for use only with Dometic air? I know, it's a little cold right now but it gets miserably hot during the summer in se texas.

#34 ·
Giovanetti, can the SmartStart be used with AC units from other manufacturers?

Thanks for an informative write-up,
Jim

#35 ·
It Works!

After reading lots of info on the SmartStart, but finding no real life consumer results, I was skeptical about spending the money on the device.

We had a Marine Airrr 16k BTU a/c and was not able to get the Honda to run it with eco on or off, so we used a 9,000 btu portable unit while on the hook in 100 degree temps. The Honda would run the portable unit, but only with eco off.

I tried the Supco device on the boat unit and measured a 5 amp reduction in start surge, but that was not enough to get the Honda to start the a/c.

We replaced our boat unit with a Mermaid 16,5000 btu unit and took the plunge purchasing a SmartStart, which I am here to tell you was the best investment I've probably ever made for my boat. The SmartStart reliably starts my a/c every single try with ECO on!! It is amazing!

My dad now has a SmartStart on order to repeat my success.

Here's a blog post on the subject if anyone wants to read.

New Temps in the Air; cabin air that is… « s/v Monomoy's blog

#37 ·
any new info on the smartstart? havent heard any new information lately. I sent email to dometic to ask if it works with ocean breeze ac's but no reply. anyone know? how could I get wiring schematic?
Giovanetti, can the SmartStart be used with AC units from other manufacturers
(Please accept our apologies for not responding until now. We apparently missed the e-mail alert for this thread back in February.)

The SmartStart will work with A/Cs from other manufacturers. There are some exceptions, however, even with some Dometic Marine equipment from before 2000 (older Cruisair and Marine Air Systems units).

First, you must remember to choose the right SmartStart model. There are 3 different ones, depending on the voltage of your compressor and its BTU capacity.

Second, the SmartStart will work with pretty much any rotary or scroll compressor that is a permanent split capacitor motor (i.e. has a run cap).

Third, SmartStarts work with most reciprocating compressors, but there are some older models of these compressors (pre-2000) on which the SmartStart will not work optimally. It has to do with how the compressor motor windings were designed and the target start capacitor for these motors. Many of these older compressors require start capacitors that are much smaller than the run capacitors. Modern compressors require start capacitor values that are closer to and often exceed the size of the run capacitors. SmartStarts were designed to work with the present-day compressors, as best as could be done, given the thousands of compressor models that are out there.

So, whether or not a SmartStart will work on your non-Dometic/Cruisair/Marine Air A/C system will be a function your system's compressor model.

If you have a question, post your system's compressor manufacturer and model # here or send me a private message, and I can research it for you. (Note, the compressor manufacturer and its model # should be visible on a label on the side of the actual compressor, providing that the A/C system manufacturer didn't paint over it; the manufacturer of the entire A/C system and its model # are not required.) Admittedly, there are some wiring modifications that can be done to resolve the start-to-run capacitor size ratio issue that some older reciprocating compressors have. I can advise on those depending on what you have. There are no guarantees that all compressors can be made to work with the SmartStart, however, so please be understanding of that for your particular case.

A basic wiring diagram is available on the second page of the SmartStart's spec sheet, available online at: http://dometic.com/cbcde79f-6594-4d01-b60c-2ab7e153c982.fodoc

Thank you for your continued interest and support.

Thank you.
M. Giovanetti
Director of Technology
Dometic Marine Corporation

#40 ·
It does NOT work

Dometic
I have read your report which states that the Cruisair 16000 btu with Smart Start installed, will run on a Honda 2000 generator.
My new Cruisair 16000 btu (split unit) was installed on my 31' sailboat June 2010 and as the salesman/installer also said that if I installed a Smart Start I would be able to run the A/C on a 2000 Honda generator, I did install the Smart Start ($500).
I also then purchased a Honda 2000 ($1100)
I have tried many times but have not been able to start the Cruisair. I have tried with the fan and water pump already running (pump on a different circuit) but to no avail. After reading your glowing report I tried again last week. Still unable to start the Cruisair, but blew the thermostat in the process.
I wasted $ 1,600.-

If I want the Cruisair to operate when at anchor, it appears I must buy another Honda 2000 companion for another $1,100.- and run both generators.
With two Honda's operating I would not have needed the Smart Start.
You need to rewrite your report so other people do not make the same mistake I did.
I am located in Key Largo.

#41 ·
I question the validity of VikingBear.

I personally have installed the SmartStart on three different boats and my father has installed one on his. Three of the boats are running the Mermaid 16,500 BTU unit and one is running a CruiseAir 16,000. All four can run the air conditioner off of the Honda eu2000i with no problem. The Honda can't run anything else (battery chargers, etc) while the A/C is running, but it will run the A/C if that is the only load. If the Honda is cold, then Eco will have to be off in order for it to handle the startup, but once the Honda has warmed up, then it will cycle the air on and off with no problem on Eco.

This is my personal experience and I have no connection with any of the companies involved other than being a customer.

I question VikingBear, because he has one post and that is to complain about the setup. He also mentions he paid $500 for the SmartStart, which means he didn't do a bit of research, because it can easily be found for $350. He also said he paid $1,100 for the Honda, which is also nuts, because it can easily be found shipped to your door for under $900.

If VikingBear truly did install the SmartStart and hasn't had success, then I believe the wiring should be double checked to make sure the SmartStart was properly installed in order for it to do its job. There are only four wires on the SmartStart, but it is still possible to have incorrectly wired it.

I'm not attempting to get into any shouting match and what not. I simply wanted to respond with my personal opinion, which is not to be construed as advice and can be taken in any fashion the reader wishes.

#42 ·
It does NOT work

bfharris.
Not sure why you question my VALIDITY?
That one can possibly now buy a Smart Start for $350.- and a Honda for less than $900 is not of interest at this stage.
I paid - in June last year- $ 500.- for the Smart Start.
The Honda was on sale at Northern Tool for $999.- With sales tax that would be about $ 1,070.- which is pretty darn close to $1,100.-
Please do not question my validity.
My set up does not work, as I described earlier. If it did I would not have posted.
I have also contacted Dometic directly. Maybe they can explain why it does not work and post it in this forum for other people as well.
I am not complaing about the Cruiseair A/C, it runs fine on shorepower, but at the report from Dometic which indicates that if you install a Smart Start you can run the A/C off a Honda 2000 if you have the right type of compressor.
The Honda 2000 watts (16.7 A) of Honda Inverter 120V AC Power
In the test run By Dometic and mposted in this forum, the start ur surge on the 16000 btu Cruisair using Smart Start was reduced from 57 to 18 A. Impressive result but -if I understand this right - still more than the Honda can deliver. Wish I had looked into this more earlier.
Validity, puh!
Happy Thyanksgiving to all.

#43 ·
Smart start Dometic

Yes the smart start is doing a good job not only on lowering the start surge but also saving the compressor and the generator windings. We already installed close to 40 units, our webasto FCF unit 16000 BTu is now able to run on a 15A outlet... Bat charger on and 3 indelB 12V portable refrigerators!!! Available on ebay for just $350
We did several chillers, a Lagoon sail 38 with 4 units on a 6kw kohler (16k 9k and two 5k), also a 2950 proline with a 5k btu on a 1000 honda eu gen set, this is good for small and large boats, i recommend this product.

#44 ·
Please email me!!!!!

I want to know where to get an eu2000i delivered to my door in one of the 48 contiguous states for less than $900!!!!!! I'm in the market but I haven't found that price!

I'm interested in this thread for both boat and rv use. I already own one eu200i. If I buy another (which is not too awfully far above the cost of the dometic appliance) I have a backup and a very flexible setup. I'd like to buy the dometic product but I really don't see how people are buying it when they can spend a little more and get the whole 2nd generator.

Anyway, bfharris please email to me the vendor who sells the eu2000i delivered for less than $900. I want that deal. My email is my name here at yahoo. (Of course with a dotcom.) And thanks!!!

#46 ·
I'm a pretty good shopper. I've already checked Northern Tool. But I followed up on that anyway and called them again. EU2000i delivered to my door costs $1123 as per Northern Tool this morning. That's a far cry from "less than $900". *And* it is right in line with what Vikingbear said he paid. *And* Vikingbear got his whole setup installed so there must be some cost/value with that.

I say again - I want that deal! Somebody please tell me where I can get an eu2000i delivered to my door for less than $900!

*And* I will add that after thinking about it, Marbruteam, you said you installed a dometic thing on a boat with an eu1000i. But if you were taking care of your customer, why didn't you recommend them buying an eu2000i instead of their 1000? If they were buying new, they could have bought a 2000 (and paid the difference) for less than the cost of the dometic thing and had a better generator and a simpler system! If they already had the 1000 they could ebay it and buy a 2000 and have a *new* and better generator for the same money they spent on the dometic thing.

That's *if* the dometic thing works.

I don't think you're steering your customers right.

And if they want a bigger gennie, sized just right, with a twist lock 3-prong outlet (to match a shore cord) then google a Champion 4000/3500. It's reputed to be a Honda knockoff. It's quiet. (I just happened to hear one running on an rv in a parking lot just 2 days ago. There is not an appreciable difference between it and an honda 2000.) Cabella's has them on sale for $309 *including shipping*. My issue with it is that I don't want a 100 pound gennie. I want portable. Two 2000's fit that bill. I thought about buying a Champion for the rv. But the same question comes to my mind that I posed before: Why don't I just spend a little more and get another 2000 and have a honda, have a backup generator, and have the ultimate in flexibility and portability? I have to choose to buy another honda. It makes sense.

And that's the same issue with the dometic appliance. It needs to cost about $100. Maybe $150. If it's $350, then it just makes sense to just spend a little more and get a second eu2000i. Did you point that out to your customers? Did you point out that the dometic appliance is not portable? That it "learns" the system where it is installed? So they can't take it to another boat or to an rv? Did you point out that if their genny goes down, they're just stuck, but if they have a backup genny they're still in business?

Somebody please tell me where I can get an eu200i delivered to my door for less than $900. I want to buy that deal.

#47 ·
And dometic, if you're reading this, cut your price to $125 and sell a buncha units. You'll make more money. *Plus* - read above. Several people have questioned the pricing. Do yourself a favor. Instead of trying to justify and over sell something your constituency feels is over priced, get your pricing in line with your market's expectations and create an appreciative customer base. You will make more money in the long run!!!!!

#48 ·
PPS to dometic: Cut it to $125 and I'll probably buy one for the boat and one for the rv. Keep the pricing as is and I won't buy it at all. I'll buy a 2nd eu2000i. Your choice. Let me know before I buy my second genny 'cause at that point, with the honda service record, I likely won't need your product for many, many years.

#52 ·
Thanks! Wise is where I bought the one I have. I was saving them for last to check. I called and they say $899 delivered which is I think 100 less than I paid for my first one. I'll probably order one from them in a week or two. (After I'm done looking for that *less than* $900 unicorn.)

;)

#56 ·
The supco hard start kits heat up. PTC I think they are called (getting old and forgetful here) lol A traditional relay and start cap would work but really is not necessary.

Many if not all compressors in window type units use rotary compressors. Marine and central may use a scroll type compressors. All are very very low amperage starting.

Remember name plate rating are not actual it's a guide. To get real amperage draw you need a clamp on type meter. You will be surprised how little amps they draw even though the name plate suggests much more.

Hard-Start Devices: Insurance For The Compressor

#57 ·
I, just this week, finished a year long saga with the Honda 2000 and a 16K BTU air conditioner. This is what I learned:

• The Smart Start is specifically designed to work with a Dometic AC unit; however, it works perfectly well with non Dometic units.
  • The Smart Start will allow a Honda 2000 to power only certain Dometic 16K AC units - they must have the 410 coolant.
  • I installed a Smart Start on a non Dometic unit and managed to get the ramp up amperage down to 29 amps. The Honda 2000 just couldn't do it consistently. Sometimes it could, mostly it couldn't.
  • I installed a Victron Energy Multiplus inverter charger that has a power assist mode and all works well now. This was not an inexpensive install; however, it greatly upgrades my electrical system and it needed it anyway. The alternative was a genset and that would have been even more expensive and, I would have still had to upgrade the electrics.

Do your home work with the Smart Start- Dometic is very specific on which AC units will be able to accept it and be powered by a Honda 2000.

Good Luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.