SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fenders? Really? Yep I have a question about Fenders...
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
Fenders? Really? Yep I have a question about Fenders...

Hello;

Well I have been planning and planning and researching and more planning for a refit and sail from Annapolis to Toronto for a few months. I have been able to dig up the answer to most of my questions but there are a few I will be posting and the first:

I didn't even think about fenders when I started to budget, I thought they would cost me about $40 a piece. Well I have started to look and I have found that they are going to cost anywhere from $65 to $100 depending on what I want...

So after trying to sort through the many of options in the fender market I was still at a loss. The plan was to buy 6 fenders and 2 fender boards for the transit through the Erie Canal. I was starting to get comfortable with the idea of spending $480 on fenders when today I am shopping at walmart and end up in the boating section (yeah I know walmart & boating supplies is an oxymoron...) and I find

Attwood 5x22 inch fenders for $11 a piece!?!?

I know these are not Taylor Tuff Ends or Big B's but I can't imagine that there is anything really wrong with them either.

The use they will see short term will be locking through multiple locks on the Erie canal. There will be a pair of fender boards, each using 3 fenders. The boat is a 33 foot Contest with 13,000 lbs displacement.

Any feedback? Am I missing something?

Robert

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook