SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need a 4th for Abacos to Chesapeake in May
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Describing Cape Hatteras as a death-trap is a gross overstatement. I've been around a number of times; I had to bail at Beaufort NC only once. It would be wise to have good weather information aboard (something with synoptics, not just gribs) and the training to interpret it. None of that is hard.

I left Little Creek on Dec 3 and made Marsh Harbour before others on the dock made it to Beaufort.
Did someone describe it as a "death trap"?

The only time I made that trip from Abaco north, we were much earlier in the season and chose Beaufort after studying our options carefully. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to go around Hatteras with the right forecast.

But it's worth mentioning that it's much easier to predict the weather out there when jumping off from Little Creek, VA and heading south, than it is coming from the other direction. Especially if the boat doesn't have the sophisticated weather information aboard -- as many don't. We didn't, and that certainly influenced our decision making.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook