SailNet Community - View Single Post - Carreening
Thread: Carreening
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
The Brits do this all the time. They call it drying out. I think mostly make thier own legs but they're pretty robust devices. You may find some info at the "Practical Boat Owner" website. They had an thorough article on the setps for drying out by leaning up agianst pilings in thier October '09 issue. I think this is a lot easier than using legs, safer too. You however need a pretty large tide range to do this. Here in the Pacific Northwest we have about 9 ft. + tides and marinas have grids for doing this. It's some beams a few feet above the bottom alongside the warf. You tie up and the boat settles out on the beams as the tide goes away. We used them all the time however recently grids are getting harder to find due to environmental concerns over scraping off bottom paint at the site. Finding some pilings is still easy. My experience was that it was important to know where the flat part of your keel was for positioning over the grid, tie the boat up so that it leans into the dock or piling as the water receeds, you can't walk too far fore or aft from the keel unlesss the ends are also supported, have a way to plug up holes when the tide comes back as you may run into snags in you project (experience here), you'll need a ladder.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook