SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any pros cons on the Beta Marine engines please?
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010

SanDiegoChip is on a distinguished road
We will be re-powering within a year. Sounds a bit far off but not for us. We are just getting the data together.
We would like to go through the summer and fall with our current engine.
We are liking the 43 hp 4cyl Beta.
What engine will we go with.
What transmission – we would like to keep our velvet drive.
Will we remove the old engine
How to dispose of it
Will we do the install with dock mates
What options do we want.
What support comes with it

At present the Perkins 108 runs great. Stars right up and goes good. Our reason for re-powering is we are going cruising in 2 ˝ years. Going with a 30 yr old motor that has been in the bilge is not a smart plan for me. How can I explain breaking down 300 mi off somewhere. My wife will be saying “Why did we not replace the motor when we had the chance.” And she is right yet again!

I have heard the motor will run forever, it is all the attached equipment that will fail. Any way we have had to fix a broken injector clamp, broke just sitting there. A dock mate and I fixed it. My wife and I spent a couple hours getting the injector line on without it leaking. The Perkins 4-108 is a tough motor to bleed also, not something for rough seas. I also had to JB weld an adjustment on the injector pump that was leaking. I was told that was the fix. It seems to be working.

If we were going to stay local I would just keep it because it is a good running motor with about 1000 hrs on it.

poopdeckpappy, your welcome to the motor when we remove it if you wish. We can finalize it later. I was wondering how to dispose of it.

They put in new dock at our marina so we may need to have it lifted out at a boat yard. The old slips were cement and more stable than the new wooden ones. A couple Perkins have been removed at our slips (cement) and one was re-powered with a larger Perkins and one with a Beta.

This Saturday we were at Downwind Marine and saw a sign for the Marine Man who sells the Beta here in San Diego. My wife and I walked over as did another customer but the door was locked. His truck was parked on the street with a banner saying he was open. Oh well another time.

Thanks,
Chip

Last edited by SanDiegoChip; 03-15-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook