SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any pros cons on the Beta Marine engines please?
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead78 View Post
Hey Chip, I am in process of repowering, with a Beta 35HP. My boat is a 38" Jeanneau, 15,500 lbs, old motor was a 30 HP renault. My dealer told me the 28HP was more than enough, unless I was in an area where tide and current were a factor.Always being slow and underpowered I chose the 35HP. It is also a 4 cyl, the cut off is 28HP is 3 cyl. My old eng and trans weighed in around 1000 LBS, new engine and trans 375LBs. I was told not to overpower as the newer diesels need to run in the top 2/3, of rpm band,to get hot enough. Red
Redhead,

I think you used good reasoning there. Our boat has a 27 hp Yanmar (11000 lbs) and I wouldn't go with any less.

But I just wanted to mention that Beta recently introduced a somewhat larger 3 cylinder engine, rated to 30 hp: Beta 30

Still, they seem to have a gap in the large 3 cylinder range, where Yanmar has offerings. Four-cylinders would be nice too, but in that size range it's nice to have the better efficiency of the 3 cylinders.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook