SailNet Community - View Single Post - New mainsail
Thread: New mainsail
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
I think that the local vs national decision depends on what is available in your local area. There are a very limited number of lofts in the Vancouver area.

Our sailing co-op used a local company, called Storch Sails for the longest time. Unfortunately, Gary is now pretty much retired in Nanaimo. Great for Gary; not so great for Vancouver Sailors.

The sails on our recently purchased Mirage 29' were cut by Doyle sails, in Seattle, in 2006. I can't say I'm real impressed, but one of the PO's liked to do stuff on the cheap.

However, since buying the boat last fall, my experience has been that not all North Sails are alike. Our co-op began using them when Gary retired, and I took our foresail in, to have a proper UV strip added. Our club has been very pleased with both quality of work and price. The same holds true for me, and I even got quotes from the other local lofts.

Let's put it this way: my experience has been good enough that I would ask them for a quote when I replace the sails.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook