SailNet Community - View Single Post - Classic style 17-22ft with diesel inboard
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010

james156733 is on a distinguished road
Classic style 17-22ft with diesel inboard

Hello all first post.

Have been enjoying looking through many articles on pocket cruisers, and apologies if I am re asking an old question.

I have owned many boats although only 2 of them were sailing boats and I am looking at getting back into sailing after a long absence and teaching my wife to sail.

We are after a classic styled vessel with a diesel inboard. 17-22ft long that can be easily launched from most boat ramps and that does not take overly long to rig up. The boats performance is for cruising only and enjoying a quiet well earned break.

My wife and I would like to explore the bays, esturies and rivers of Australia's east coast from Melbourne up to Cooktown over the next few years. The vessel only needs to be able to support us for a max of 5 days. While we may want to pop out for the odd bit of coastal sailing on calm days the admiral does not do well in choppy seas and that kills my fun very quickly.

Ok some essentials that I dont want to compromise on.
* classic design (nothing modern of too flashy)
* mono Hull
* sleeps 2 comfortably, with toilet and basic kitchen facilities
* diesel inboard
* easy to launch, rig and sail
* less than 22ft
* beam less than 8'2" (2.5m) otherwise it gets too entertaining with oversize restrictions.
* would also prefer a used boat, under 10 years old.
* the budget is 30-35k (US) including inporting, taxes and fitting out

We have 2 current favorites (one mine one my wifes) but would like some input into any know problems of these two or any suggestions of boats that would be better.

Current favorites
Menger 19' cat
Cape cutter 19'
I know the cape cutter in these articals does not have the diesel inboard but the company is currently conducting trials with the Yanmar 10hp.

Cheers and regards
Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook