SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina C27 Tall vs. Std. Rig Fin vs. Wing Keel
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010

mmazour is on a distinguished road
Catalina C27 Tall vs. Std. Rig Fin vs. Wing Keel

As I continue to do research trying to learn as much as I can about the C27. I have come up with a question or curiosity.

Quick background. Oprevious boat was a S2 7.3 24' had it for a year and I loved it. Some have referred to the lake as the perfect sailing lake because it lies East to West and the prevailing summer winds are from the southwest which allows a beam reach up and down the lake all day long. The S2 is/was the only boat I have ever sailed so I can not make any comparison myself, but everyone I talked up there said it was a great boat that sailed better than most. I am currently boating on the 19' runabout stinkpot.
We are about 2 years from pulling the trigger on one. I have decided on a year range of 1985 - 1989, based on price, market availability and just because...Inboard Diesel, Pedestal Steering.
What are the advantages/reasons for the 4 different configurations:
Catalina C27 Tall Rig Fin
Catalina C27 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Catalina C27 Std. Rig Fin Keel
Catalina C27 Std. Rig Wing Keel
Just looking for preferences, opinions and comparisons.
Moderator, this is a repost from the Boat Builders Row -> Catalina sub-forum buried in the C27 thread but it did not get much response so I thought I might take a chance and repost this in the Boat Review and Purchase Forum.

Last edited by mmazour; 07-23-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook