SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wire to rope Halyard Splice
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010

HermitScott is on a distinguished road
I kinda went through this also. I didn't trust the old wire halyards so I cut one end of the wire halyard and then taped a 1/2" climbing rope to it and pulled it through.
I thought it might not fit through(fortunately it did) but if it didn't fit through, I was prepared to add some clamps to the wire halyard to better secure it and then go aloft on the one that didn't have the end cut off.
You can always drop the mast, but I didn't want to spend the money and the risk seemed minimal to me, even if I had to add some clamps to be sure of the strength.
You have to get up there and see if you have sheaves for wire or sheaves for rope, depending on what you are going to replace it with.
I agree with dog on the 5/16" line.
BTW I use climbing caribbeaners, harness and rope, because that's what I have on hand. I wouldn't be scared of a splice as long as it is done right. Climbers always use knots though. I have never seen a climber use a knot, so they can't be that bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

C30 Event Horizon

Last edited by HermitScott; 03-16-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook