SailNet Community - View Single Post - holding tank vent
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
First, the vent should be 1" hose according to Peggie Hall, the doyenne of marine heads. It should be terminated in a standard through-hull. It should be as short and straight as possible, to maximize ventilation of the holding tank.

If the tank is well aerated, then the stinky anaerobic bacteria will be reduced and there will be little odor.

I would ask where the head in the boat is. If the head is forward in the boat, it is a really bad idea to put the holding tank aft. The longer the distance between the tank and head, the more hose that will be sitting full of waste, unless you use a lot of water to pump the hose clear, and the more likely the hose will permeate. Also, the more waste that will leak into the boat if you have to disconnect the hose at any time. Keeping head waste hoses as short as possible is generally a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboatdon View Post
I will be installing a holding tank where the inboard engine used to be on my 1966 Bristol 27. I was wondering where would be the best place for the vent(s). I am new to this boat rebuild process and would love to hear from you all. The tank will be 20 - 25 gallon. I think that anywhere near the cockpit would create a smell issue. I have seen pictures of this type of sailboat and she likes to heal. So anywhere near midship might cause a problem with egress of water. Thank you all for any help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook