SailNet Community - View Single Post - Time to buy a boat..
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010

SailD is on a distinguished road
Time to buy a boat..

Hello everyone. So I know this is a topic done to death, but reading through the advice on which boat to buy threads it seems pretty clear that every one is different, and everyone requires different things from their boat.

Here's mine, I work 6 months of the year as crew on a large sail yacht, maybe I'm a sucker for punishment but I want my own cruiser for the time I'm on leave. I have only sailed a few times on anything under 100ft, and to be honest other than the plastic fantastic charter fleet boats I see everywhere I don't know much about who's who with the smaller boats.

I need something comfortable to live on for 2-3 people, not necessarily a couple, must be capable of trans-at/trans-pac. I expect to cruise a fair distance during my trips so need a reasonable turn of speed. Reading threads says to me buy the smallest you can live with, wanting space to live with a turn of speed says go for a decent waterline length. My budget for the boat and the next 3 months cruising is going to be £45-50k max. I'm thinking about 10-12000kgs and minimum 36ft though obviously would like the extra speed from a larger boat. Steel being a preference as I'd be happier leaving it under minimal care from someone for a few months than grp.

Any advice for me? Many thanks.

D
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook