SailNet Community - View Single Post - Classic style 17-22ft with diesel inboard
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010

james156733 is on a distinguished road
Thank you for the suggestions and information receive so far.

I looked at the compac horizion but at 8'4" I would have to set up oversize signs, flashing yellow lights and only be able to travel in the daylight hours. Until we discovered this fact it was my wifes 1st choice, since then she has lent towards the Menger 19.

I will do some more investigation on the flicka 20 as it bears looking at thankyou for the suggestion.

Locally produced Classic style boats in Australia. The only one that I am aware of is the Couta boat but at 26ft its just a little on the long side. It is also used in a classic sailing class which specifices wood construction so its quite pricy. (Second hand in excellent condition $70000 aust and upward)

I know I am being kinda ambitious in what I would like but we have found 2 maybe 3 candidates (flicka 20?).
The 19ft boats have the major advantage of being able to be packed into a standard shipping container which makes transporting it to Australia substantially more affordable. (roughly $4000US 4500lb goods in a 20ft container)

Thanks Saildog for the book reference, ordered one this afternoon.

If anyone else out there has a suggestion please post, as my wife and I are would like to visit the US and or Britan for a test sail sometime early 2011 and would like to have it nailed down to two or three candidates by then.

Cheers and regards
Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook