SailNet Community - View Single Post - New mainsail
Thread: New mainsail
View Single Post
post #17 of Old 03-17-2010
As far as straight dacron goes, I have 6 new sails over the last 6 yrs of owning my boat, NONE of them are dacron other than the 110 which is a crosscut/tri radial dac/mylar as you are looking at.
Reason I have gone with laminates, one the cloth is slightly lighter, here in PNW/puget sound, we get a lot of light wind days, ie under 10 knots. The laminates pickup the zephers better. One of the sails is a 1.5oz contender spin cloth 130 drifter. Works wonderfull in winds under 6-7 knots.

My cruiser 140 is the ullman CAL. 155 and main are fiberpath/string sails, I race a lot too. In hind sight, I should have done the CAL main. Along with a spin that the boat did not have.

I personally with the way laminates are made today, cost of many etc, do not see that dacron is the way to go from a longevity or cost standpoint. The lower cost dacs are 2-3 generation ago dacron, so yes they will be cheaper. They will work too. I know of one local with Cruising Direct now north outlet sails. He knew they were older generation dacron.

Make sure you understand what you are getting too.

This is my .02 not that it is worth much. But reasons for doing what I did, choose what you like, disregard what you do not like. Sail material is a pretty wide range of what to do vs not to do subject with varied answers across a wide range of what to do.

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome