SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cockpit Speakers
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Another worry is if the speakers are mounted in an area that opens to the bilge. If the boat gets pooped, will water get into the hull that way? If the space opens to the bilge, it would be wise to mount the speakers under deck plates that can be closed off in bad weather.

As for the binnacle, I believe the OP is referring to the distance the compass will be from the speakers, since it is mounted on a binnacle... not that the binnacle would shield the compass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groven View Post
Just keep in mind that wherever you place them, the weak link in that bulkhead/surface will now be the speaker cones/surrounds. They break down incredibly fast in the UV and then allow water intrusion. When I installed my new cockpit speakers last year, I couldn't find a single company that made speakers with optional covers. I now use a pair of small rubber dog frisbees to protect the speakers from UV degradation when not in use after a pair of Clarion marine cockpit speakers completely disintegrated in only 6 months.

Also, I would not expect a binacle to eliminate magnetic interference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook