SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailboat Towed off Alki
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Okay - then I'll go ahead and ask the bastardy question...was the guy single-handing this boat? And is this a case of too much boat to handle for a lone skipper?

The reason I ask this is because the idea of just how "safe" single-handing is has been debated a lot - especially when considering the size/complexity of the boat. In my newbie mind, and seeing this vid, single-handing on a big multi-mast boat in heavy weather (even with a good engine) is rolling some pretty big dice.

I have no idea if this skipper was actually single-handed or not, I'm just asking the question because it looked that way.

Thoughts?
Well, we don't know what we don't know. The boat had an anchor down.

The "how safe" seems to be a topic here, but not generally. Size, complexity, sure, but the big factor you don't mention is 'experience'. Then there's experience with a particular boat. It's up to each of us to determine what his/her own risk threshold is and to build our experiences so hopefully we can handle a number of situations both man made and not. For some, single handing is foolishness. It was just one of those odd days that had it been on the weekend, there would have been a number of people in trouble, crewed or not.

From what I heard on the VHF, there seemed to be some issue mentioned with a mooring buoy. As said earlier, it was blowing about 10-15 and within a space of 5-10 minutes, was blowing 35 with gusts to 45.

Last edited by puddinlegs; 03-18-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook