SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailboat Towed off Alki
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010

blackjenner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Tuesday afternoon, the wind did pickup really quick around here.

Now for some shoreline etc clarification. Please note, there is still no info in king5's web page as to what went wrong etc.

The shoreline is running for the most part north to south. Wind is out of SW, so in relation to how the boat is getting towed, about 45* to the port bow. To the south in one of the wide shots is a point that protrudes to the west a bit and protects the area the boat was in. Along with many with waterfront property along there will keep boats in the summer, roughly april to Oct or there abouts.

Reality is, he could have reached at 90 to broad read at 120 to the wind and stayed off the shore with sails up. BUT, as I say/type this, it should be pointed out, was he by himself, engine dead, prop fouled.........a lot of things we can only guess at.

My 02 to add.

marty
When I was a pilot we used to pour over the 'adventures' people had and take the lessons from it. Everyone should serve as an example to others, sometimes even if it what not to do.

We don't have all the facts here. I'd love to find out what happened in this case as I'm looking at a class of boats similar to what he was sailing, I will be doing some single (+1) handing and will be in those waters.

1980 Baba 35 Pilot House Cutter - Brigadoon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook