SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2 questions, simple for all but me
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2010

sharps4590 is on a distinguished road
2 questions, simple for all but me

As I read through this forum I am amazed at the volume of knowledge. An incredible source of information and I'm grateful to those who started it and those who so generously post "what they know". I read posts I can barely understand about going faster and farther and I'm so new I'm still learning how NOT to turn over the darn boat!! One of these questions is about that

My boat is a Buccaneer. Let's say I'm running on a close reach in gusty winds, small inland lake sailing, and the boat gets hit with a gust and feels as if it is about to go over. Is the quickest and best response to turn the boat directly upwind, as if to put it irons? That is if one can react quickly enough. I know I'm gonna spend some time swimming but would like to reduce that as much as possible.

Second question. My main sail has no reefs on it. Will it do any harm to the main if I were to sew or have sewn 3 or 4 reefs, 30 inches up from the boom? I'm thinking I'd like to start out this spring with a shorter main and from what I have learned it's just a good idea to be able to reef the main on a Bucc.

Thank you

Vic
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook