SailNet Community - View Single Post - gas powered liveaboards...
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
If there are no obvious fuel leaks, you may be smelling fuel that has spilled into wood and been adsorbed there. Solvent cleaning and then sealing the wood with epoxy paints is the best way to preclude or solve that.

But you may also be smelling fuel from the carburetor evaporating when the engine is off, or the fuel tank vent, or even a tiny leak from threaded fittings.

As others have said you should not be smelling ANY gasoline, if there is any vapor from any source in the boat, you have a risk of explosion. (And I have nothing against gasoline engines!)

If you clean, check, and recheck everything, use a toothbrush to clean old fittings and crevices, seal bare wood, and make sure the vents are vented overboard and still smell gas...That's not good, it IS toxic and you should not be sleeping with the vapors. I'd try a real thorough steam cleaning in the engine spaces, and adding a solar vent to give the engine spaces a constant positive ventilation out of the boat as well. They're expensive, yes, but I've never heard of anyone willing to give it back once they've installed one.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook