SailNet Community - View Single Post - MOB / COB Procedures for the Short-Handed
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Why didn't they just drag the guy up the transom steps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
Had a good discussion today about MOB / COB procedures for husband and wife crews during a RYA First Aid course. The instructor had participated in recovery tests, and he wasn't positive about the results.

(He wasn't even positive about sugar scoop sterns, noting that they can act like hammers on people in the water. He noted that in some tests the crews moved the person overboard up to the shrouds for the lift-out even if they had a sugar scoop stern.)
I understand the "hammer" issue, but it is boat specific. Mine don't hammer, in any weather that I've seen.

There are a number of advantages, if the "hammer problem" is manageable.
* No rigging time. Take the line to the winch and crank. There is always a life line gate there. It may be necessary for a crewman with a harness to descend the stair to help, but they don't have to fully lift the person. Padding the steps (one side) with a **** pit cushion helps.
* Can be done with some way on. This is MAJOR. there is no risk of a wave smacking the victim into the boat or of drifting over them. Thus, it is easy to get and keep the victim in the recover area.
* Easier short handed, in my opinion.
* Faster, meaning that in cold water the victim is more likely to be able to help.
* There should be a boarding ladder. Why else have a sugar scoop?

No, it won't work on every boat, but recovery methods can be boat-specific. It seems it should be studied and taught. It's not theory on my part; we've tested this approach a dozen times, both when I have gone over to clear a line or just for drill. The weather was not always nice.

Yes, I've gotten on-and-off dive boats where the ladders move up and down 2-4 feet with swells. Then the over-the-side methods are best, if the MOB is injured or slow.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pdqaltair; 03-21-2010 at 09:23 AM. Reason: info
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook