SailNet Community - View Single Post - liveaboard home theater
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010
Meat Popsicle

nailbunnySPU is on a distinguished road
I ended up selling my htib as the speakers were a hair too large, woofer was ridiculously too large, price was right. That energy set looks tight, but of course the question is, how small is it? Is there a way I could use the existing woofer in the set? What would be a good spot for a woofer in a 30' boat?

Now since this thread was warmed back up, the thing I really came to say is, I'm seriously considering a projector. Hear me out... LED projectors are hitting the market, so hot expensive power hungry short-lived incandescent (or whatever) bulbs are out of the picture.

Check this:
Amazon.com: iSiVaL LED Mini HD Projector: Office Products
It's from isival, they have like two products including this one. It's basically 720P high def, but the brightness is nothing compared to a conventional projector. But for the spaces inside a boat, this machine might just be enough for what i need, to throw a 60 inch diagonal picture with just 30 watts. The brightness may be a deal breaker, but I'm very excited for the future of LEDs, and this has got me thinking of shipboard projector screens.

For a screen, would I fab my own with drapery backing, a dowel rod, and something to stretch it out? Buy some pre-made roll-up that mounts permanently to the overhead? I could be a real poseur and hank and tension the screen like a sail.

For sound, I'm coming to a conclusion that a receiver is out of the question. It comes with a mess of functionality that I don't need anyway. Audiophiles forgive me, but it seems that the best solution would be computer styles speakers, driven by 3.5mm jacks. I could pick up a 5.1 usb sound card, plug it into the laptop and rock out reasonably simply. I've been spending months looking for compact hdmi 12v marine receivers, or any 2 of the 4, and the search is a fool's errand. HDMI or DVI or even VGA straight to a monitor or projector and that's it. If I had unlimited time I'd run USB through the boat, to plug the laptop into all peripherals wherever I'm using it.

Last edited by nailbunnySPU; 03-21-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook