SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any pros cons on the Beta Marine engines please?
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010

maru657 is on a distinguished road
I bought and installed a 28hrs, 3 cylinder Beta-Marine in San Diego. Phillip at Marine Man, the dealer was very helpfull with advice. Especially since this was the first time I had attempted something like this. I was able to complete the installation, remounting and all but I did get help aligning the shaft since alignment is so critical. After installation the engine started right away with no surprises or problems and now has @ 60 hours of use. I did this myself for the experience and it was worthwhile. I could install or replace another much quicker. However, there is some drudgery involved and I would use Phillip, the dealer to install another just to avoid the work. The engine works great. The oil change pump is awesome and even the manual fuel priming pump shows great engineering. This engine pushes a 20'000lb displacement sailboat at hull speed with no problen and @ 2100rpm, the fuel burn is about 1/2 gallon/hour.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook