SailNet Community - View Single Post - Holding Tank Leaking into Bilge
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010

jobrantley is on a distinguished road
Holding Tank Leaking into Bilge

Hi all,
I fear I might have a hole/leak somewhere in my holding tank. Can someone
please explain to me if it is standard to have an overfill valve/drain on all holding tanks and where it is normally located ,and where it would drain to if the tank was over filled? I don't have a great understanding of the holding tank system on my boat so please forgive if there are obvious answers to my questions. The holding tank appears to be fiberglass and is located in the starboard locker in the cockpit.
I think this is a case of me overfilling the holding tank. I have found the area
where I believe the tank is leaking into the bilge. It is on the starboard wall of my engine compartment with the holding tank being on the other side of this wall. There appears to be an approx dime size hole there that looks to be perfectly round (like it was placed there and not a crack or explosion) When I pump the toilet ( I have not been able to pump out the head
yet) I get a slow steady trickle out of this area. It doesn't leak out of this hole unless I am pumping the toilet. I haven't had a chance to fully explore this "hole" just yet as it is in a spot that is tricky to see. Could I have
exploded/cracked my holding tank or is this the over fill valve? The holding
tank also appears to have leaked back into the locker behind the head when the boat heeled over approx 15-20 degrees.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Jon
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook