SailNet Community - View Single Post - VHF Radio w. AIS receiver
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
According to the Standard Horizon User's Manual; "the Matrix AIS GX2100 with internal dual channel receiver has the capability to output received class A & B targets using VDM sentence at a baud rate of 34800... If you have further inquiries, please feel free to contact Product Support..."

Uh, ya, me thinks that something is lost in translation...

Bottom line is that this can output NEMA 0183HS sentences. NEMA 0183HS is a serial bus. Also realize that this unit is an AIS RECEIVER ONLY. (Which means that you can see them, but they can't see you.)

ActiSense has a serial bus to USB gateway that you can learn about here. It will enable you to connect this radio to your laptop chartplotter.

I have no affiliation with either ActiSense or Standard Horizon... but I know that ActiSense Tech Support does venture into these forums.

I would be very interested if, and when, a manufacturer comes out with a similar radio that transmits and receives AIS data, and even more interested if it used NEMA 2000.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook