SailNet Community - View Single Post - Micron Extra vs. Micron CSC vs. Petit ???
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
If you want an ablative

If you want an ablative that won't build up over time and one that will actually ablade (wear away)the Petit line is better than Interlux in my personal experience. CSC & Extra don't begin to ablade or wear away until 6-7 knots. Most sailboats don't maintian these speeds long enough and a while you get build up.

I have now done three complete bottom jobs on three seperate boats and learned the hard way with CSC & Extra. Pettit Ultima (SSA- SSA Super Soft Ablative) is perhaps the best low speed multi-season ablative for sailboats. It begins to ablade at 2-3 knots according to tech support and is works extremely well for sailboats if you don't want a thick flaking paint build up at ten or twelve years out. Pettit Hydrocoat is like CSC or Extra and does not begin to ablade until higher speeds.

The whole idea of an ablative is to avoid build up and expose new paint to marine growth. If your boat can't go the speeds necessary to activate the ablading action of a paint, why use it..??

Just my experience after using both the Micron line and the Pettit stuff...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 03-22-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook