SailNet Community - View Single Post - Holding Tank Leaking into Bilge
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
What steps have you taken to removing the offending liquids from your bilge so far?
If you have already broken out the bleach and ammonia so be it but I would recommend using the Raritan tank treatment 'KO' in your bilge with some fresh water to help reduce the offending substances to something a bit less offensive. 'KO' is a bacterial product that works best by itself with no harsh chemicals like bleach, ammonia and other household cleaners. It can help to reduce the stench factor allowing you to actually clean (yes, by hand) the residual crap in your bilge.
A similar situation happened to me once. Since we re-installed a new holding tank I know where all the important lines are and how they work. It seems that many of us learn more from our mistakes then when things go right. I was motivated to fix our vent line problem because I hate the stink of rotting you-know-what in any boats cabin. Smelly holding tanks can ruin an otherwise gorgeous boat for me. That smell alone can make me want to swim for shore.
I recommend Peggy Hall's book on the subject of marine sanitation devices (MSDs).
Good luck fixing this and sleeping on the boat in the future.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook