SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anti-dish breakers?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010

Yofy is on a distinguished road
It's all going to depend on what your galley storage space allows. I like flat storage for plates best. Then you can stack one plate on top of another (you can put a thin pice of bubble wrap in between for shock absorbers if you need) and you can front the space/locker/box with a covering piece of wood shaped just like in your drawing. You can make another space like that for your bowls. The "U" type opening on the cover will allow you to remove a plate or bowl. Problem is we've never lived on a boat with enough galley space to provide that luxury.

When we bought Yofy she had a rack simular to what T37Chef posted. Its a nice rack, but it stuck way out into our galley and wouldn't hold our bowls. Manny converted a locker by creating a hinged door that flips down to access the plates and bowls. The bowls lie flat, but the plates stand on their edges. The way we have so far found to do this is by using a portion of a plate rack that we cut off of a dish drainer. Its definetly NOT ideal and we are still brainstorming for a better solution. I curse every time I have to access the plates from that locker.

We have ceramic plates and don't regret them one bit. But I would never use cardboard as anti shock absorber material. Cardboard is serious bait for cockroaches!!

Robyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook