SailNet Community - View Single Post - Standing Rigging: Some Questions
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Standing Rigging: Some Questions

Late last year, we purchased a 1987 Mirage 29'. At the time of purchase, I checked both the rigging and turnbuckles and felt that they were in very good condition.

However, I am astonished by our just-completed professional rigging survey, done by a rigger who I respect and trust. While he agrees that the rigging is in very good condition, he also thinks that it is ORGINAL. WTF!

I never thought that the rigging had been changed recently. The PO never struck me as the type that would worry about that stuff. So, I'm thinking 2004 and probably earlier--quite likely be my rigger (Paul is checking his records).

So this leads to 2 questions for the more experienced community members:
  1. If the standing rigging is truly 23 years old, shouldn't it be showing a significant amount of wear and tear? I've seen stuff as a broker and on our Co-op boats that is obvious. However, you would never know that our own rigging is that old from looking at it.
  2. At what age should the rigging be completely replaced? My own research suggests between 12 and 15 years. What do others think?

I have to say that spending the money doesn't bother me. Our co-op has used the same rigger for the last 10 years, and he is simply the best. Now, we're talking about our own boat, and we want to sail her for at least another 10 years. I simply won't cut corners on safety.

I am just blown away by the fact that no one ever replaced the rigging before. Amazing!

Thanks in advance for your help.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook