SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to attach single piece genoa sheets
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010

countrygent5201 is on a distinguished road
How to attach single piece genoa sheets

I know this question has been asked and amply answered, but I can't seem to find the topic (fairly new to the site).

Anyway, I removed my furling genoa to have the UV strip replaced and decided it would be a good time to replace my badly frayed sheets at the same time. Each side requires about 40 feet, and I had been attaching the two sheets by running both through the clew and making a bowline knot. Works great, but looks a bit messy with two knots. I recalled reading here (or somewhere) that sheets could be attached as one piece running back to the winches in equal distance, so I bought an 80-foot piece of 1/2" Sta-Set in the hopes that someone could advise me on how to do this. I recall in what I read that a simple overhand knot at the clew would not work since, over time, there would be some slippage resulting in one sheet becoming shorter (or longer) than the other. I don't mind tying the sheets on as separate pieces, but thought I'd explore the possibility of a single-piece setup before cutting the line. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook