SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to attach single piece genoa sheets
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
This may sound a bit redundant.....but if you have one continuous jib sheet...how do you end for end it, to share the wear?
You cut it, flip it, and use bowlines. I have seen larks heads / cows hitches slip but only on a ring and it was under very heavy load. Most of the boats I have raced o use them, I have used them too. Currently have bowlines because I got a great deal on two cut lengths of 1/2" line.

I like the bowline because it is easy to swap sheets for different head sails without needing to have multiple sheets with your multiple head sails. Pulling out a Larks Head can be tedious and more time consuming than tying two bowlines. Bowlines do add bulk and weight to the clew though and can hang on shrouds where the cows hitch does not tend to do these things...

For racing I prefer a Larks Head / Cows Hitch for cruising a bowline. No knot is right or wrong except for the one that slips regularly or comes undone. On my own boats I have never had either slip or come un-done..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 03-25-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook