SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Lee Shore

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  smackdaddy 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Ouch... apparently there were plenty of 'em too.

#11 ·
Hey, is that a CQR on the bow??? :D

#13 ·
Thats a pic of anaconda 2, washed onto the rocks during a cat 3 cyclone last week.

This next comment may get under the noses of a few.
Lots of boats were left on the anchor or on a mooring and now damaged/sunk. There are a few cyclone holes nearby and the owners only had about 10 days warning [meaning that within 24 hrs you can be in as safe a cyclone hole as possible].

It does not appear that much/any attempt was made to secure these yachts as best as possible. Apparently 2 were washed onto the breakwater whilst attempting to enter a marina during the worst of the cyclone.

#15 ·
Thanks for the info. It is a damn shame that people are that negligent or irresponsible.

My boat is kept in a harbor that is one of the safest in the world as it has a hurricane barrier that shuts and protects the harbor from the storm surge... and I or one of my crew still go down to check on my boat before and after every storm-named or not.

#14 ·
Jeez St - that makes it even worse. Were these holiday boats maybe - where the owners couldn't get to them?

And speaking of, is there a service one can hire to move a boat to a sheltered anchorage if one is partying with the ladies in Rio when said cyclone becomes a true beastie?

#18 ·
Some were charter boats - day trips around the whitsundays, some were private. It would not take much ( a phone call) to organise the charter fleet operators to move/tow the vacant yachts up one of the 3 or 4 local cyclone holes or into the marina - if the owners could not be there. Hinchinbrook is about a day away downwind and has proven cyclone creeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.