SailNet Community - View Single Post - what are the disadvantages of the canoe stern ?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Everything above is correct. I will add one other, being someone very familiar with them (Tayana 42), they do not slap at a morroing (or anchored with an opposing tide). A flat butt transom will drive you crazy smoetimes. No exhageration, my wife an di have left teh aft cabin at a marina once (actually more than once) and slept in the salon because the slapping from the waves on teh stern (due to stern blowing wind) was so bad. Understand, 99% of the time this will not happen at anchor with a sugar scoop because you point into the weaves and apparent wind. Generally only at a marina... but there are exceptions and they will drive you crazy.

Many sugar scoops dig into the water when beating, so you will find them less desirabel than something that can cut the water behind it. However, all in all, I would still opt for a nice large transom for LA and cruising for the many other positive tradeoffs.

My boat to left, and dad's to center... which one would you rather swim off of and get out of the water of?

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook