SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to attach single piece genoa sheets
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Whoops! I guess I should have been more detailed. Depending upon the race (some do not allow peals). We will drop the top part of the furler (Schaefer) and use the gear as a foil only. We hoist it up the foil just prior to the race. How we peel: Run the “changing sheet” from the secondary winch to forward and tie to the new sail’s clew. Untie the lazy sheet and tie it to the new sail’s clew. Hoist the new sail on the leeward side of the old sail. (Depending upon what halyard the first headsail went up on determines which tack to make the change.) Set the halyard. Drop the old sail onto the forepeak. Untie remaining sheet and re-tie it to the new sail, trim the sheet. Ease the changing sheet and untie from new sail. Flake and stow sail on forepeak and stow changing sheet. Whew, makes me tired just writing about it! Truth be told, most of the time we do headsail changes during the runs. Again, instead of furling, we drop the old headsail at the windward mark. If we’re using the Schaefer as a foil on race day, then afterwards, we will drop the sail and run it up using the furler cuz Mrs. B don’t do headsail changes!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook