SailNet Community - View Single Post - C&C 30' - good for a beginner?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010

junaido is on a distinguished road
We bought our Tanzer 25, another Canadian boat like the C&Cs, about 2 years ago with much the same objectives as you. It pays to bide your time and check out all the CL sections from Spokane to Seattle and of course Portland, Eugene etc. Go with a fresh-water boat if you can find one to your liking. C&C's have a lot of local presence, they seem like very nice boats but are pretty expensive. Our T25 has been a great learning tool and just the right size for the river. Its fast, responsive, and comfy enough for a couple to cruise on the river. We primarily sail between I-5 and 205 with the occasional overnighter to gov't island. This year we might venture farther afield to Sand Island or Astoria, but I don't think I will ever venture across the bar in something this small and light displacement. I would suggest staying in the 25-30 ft range on the river, anything bigger will be expensive to maintain and cumbersome to maneuver around these parts. You can have always it trailered up to the Sound if you get tired of the river. The river current is the biggest learning curve for me, I still get white knuckle moments docking in spring when its running strong. Draft is another issue, many marinas along Marine Dr. have depth issues in late summer and there are many shallow spots to watch out for near the sea scout base and tip of Tomahawk Island. Good luck with the boat search, let us know how it pans out.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook