SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bungee Cord
Thread: Bungee Cord
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2001

Snap is on a distinguished road
Bungee Cord

Great stuff, that shockcord. I also use it for tensioning the windscoop. There are some very nice "plastic" end fittings with snap shackles that can be used for numerous clean installations such as holding snatch blocks off the deck and securing a sun shield or awning. I have used it to hold a flaked main on the boom with no problems. I fit a series of stationary SS loops on one side of the boom and on the other side a series of SS split rings in a zigzag pattern with the loops. I installed a length of shockcord through the loops with sufficient length to span the flaked main w/o too much pressure being brought to bear upon the sail when in use. After lowering the main into a friend''s designed, retractable lazyjacks and flaking it onto the boom, standing on the side of the boom with the split rings and starting at the forward end of the sail one can bring the shockcord across the sail and ease it into the split rings working one''s way to the end of the boom. Obviously the luff of the main is much larger and requires more cord than the leech and that is the reason to work from from the forward end, lots of cord with which to work. My boom is some 18 feet long, the main rather large and, with the lazyjacks, my small wife has no trouble quickly flaking and securing the main while I tend the helm, have a cool one, nod approvingly and praise her for her gallant efforts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook