SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to attach single piece genoa sheets
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
No reason you can not use the jib on the furler unit, provided it has a luff tape to fit the furler foil. George B describes the procedure fairly well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygent5201 View Post
George, your post caused an explosion to go off in my head (I would have said "bell" but the reaction was a lot bigger than that). This post reveals more ignorance about rigging than I'd like to admit, but here goes:

I have roller furling for my genoa. I removed the sail for UV replacement. A brand new jib came with the boat when I bought it last summer. The jib is in a bag in my garage. When I removed the genoa, I assumed I'd be out of commission for a while without a headsail. After reading George's post, it occurred to me that I might be able to use the jib by simply attaching it to the furling drum and raising it with the top part of the furler system (which, of course, is down at this point) and raising it with the same halyard. Am I making a correct assumption?

Another question: I've never raced, but have wondered how a boat with a furler system could change headsails under racing conditions. How's that done?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-26-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook