SailNet Community - View Single Post - The "contemplation boat" thread
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
The "contemplation boat" thread

Look it's Friday afternoon, so cut me a little slack here, and play along, willya?

Every marina, boatyard and harbour has at least one. That vision of faded glory, that boat that is on the brink, a good old boat that is starting to tilt from the former (good) waaay over to the latter (old), and pretty soon will not even qualify as the qualified noun (boat). Most aren't worth a second glance, but there is always that one, unique, sad specimen that you just know has a story behind her. The one that calls to you from across the yard, or the fairway. The one you notice while you are varnishing, scrubbing , sanding, cleaning, sunbathing or drinking.
Okay, mostly drinking. Because that is when you start to think, "y'know, i don't NEED another boat, i don't WANT another boat, but THAT one.... hmmm..."
The one that makes you pause when you walk past, and think about what she COULD be.

Yeah, THAT boat. The one that doesn't necessarily make you open your wallet YET, but the one that starts the refit budget running through your head as you walk around her, calculating what she needs. sure, it's just blueskying, or navel-gazing, but, if, and maybe, and possibly, and...

Here's mine. Yeah, I know; I need to drink more.

let's see yours.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook