SailNet Community - View Single Post - The "contemplation boat" thread
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010

Michael K is on a distinguished road
Been There, Done That, Never Again!

I'd gladly post pictures (before and after) but for some reason I cannot make it work. Anyway...

I gave up sailing almost completely for 12 years. Yes, time does fly by. At some point I had a chance to step back; it was then that I realized I was missing something that had become important to me long ago. Sailing was not simply a sport to me. It had been a total experience. And so, I decided to get a boat of my own. But I had been away from it for so long, I foolishly got involved in an unfinished boat that was located hundreds of miles away. Even after bringing it to the Annapolis area this project turned into a rather lengthy ordeal, taking all my time. Friends said to me, just think of all that you learned. My reply was, invariably, who says I wanted to know?(!) Boat building and sailing, I learned the hard way, are two totally different things. But I kept at it.

I finally launched it in September 2007 -- more than three years later. It's interesting how all those hours working on the boat gently fade from memory. Now, I just feel a certain sense of satisfaction. And tending to the boat, as it swings on its mooring, is quite pleasurable. With the newly found free time, once in a while I attended a sailor's event/gathering. When asked if I have a boat I simply answer in a near whisper, "Yes, a project catamaran." Oftentimes the response is immediate: "Not Hot Mustard?" After a little sigh I nodd yes.

I've met some great folks that way, all because of the perpetual project. Still, speaking from experience, I suggest you ogle that lovely derelict to your heart's content. Next, smack your face hard enough to come back to reality. Then walk, uh no, RUN away -- as fast as you can! Finally, find yourself a quiet place and repeat 100 times "Only turn key for me, Only turn key for me, Only...."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook