SailNet Community - View Single Post - E-42
Thread: E-42
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2010

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
We bought a sailrite and made new bimini & cockpit cushions (well, she did, I supervised). We found that the sailrite case won't fit in the lockers...too long. So we bought the machine without case and I made a base out of oak. Saved about 4" to 6" in length. Wife is making a cover for it right now. It will fit into the forward locker where shelves replaced hanging locker.

I put a rod in the forward shower to serve as a wet locker for rain gear, life jackets & wetsuit.
Since you have a new fuel tank you might want to keep that deep bilge dry so it doesn't sit in water. I plumbed a PVC tube from the area forward of the lower water tank over to the small pocket under the centerline galley sink. There is a bilge pump there that empties that small 'bilge'. Aft, I replaced the stuffing box with a PSS shaft seal. The stuffing box drips go directly onto the top of the fuel tank. So the forward tube diverts any rain water from the mast and that is all the water I get into the boat.

I took out the aft A/C to gain room. Our forward A/C is under the V-berth. I rigged a venturi to draw out the condensation water from that A/C. The venturi sucks the water from the drain pan via the draw from the A/C cooling water discharge. No condensate anywhere into the boat. I did add a shutoff valve to that discharge line for when underway.

Our headsail furler line ran down the port rail. The way it came up over the coaming was terrible. I ran the line right down the middle of the boat, just port of center. It passes over the forward head hatch thru a guide ring. We have holes in the front of the coaming to run lines to the cockpit, it runs right to the hole and to a rope clutch inside. Makes furling SIGNIFICANTLY easier vs the old way.

Removed the old battery box under the aft berth, lowered the platform and just installed 6 T-1275 Trojan batteries at 150 amps each. 900 amp house bank now.

Do you have a Perkins 4.154?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook