SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Pogo 10.50

It seems that nobody is interested in a 10 000 euros 18ft basic cruiser made by one of the most reputable European boat builders, so I am going to change subject, I mean, boat.

I would like to talk about some interesting and fast marginal cruising boats that are being a success in Europe. Not big, because the market they are pointing to is not a big one, but big enough to have them built in a production line. Pogo, in one year have sold 40 of their new 10.5 and Wauquiez have discontinued the production of their 40ft cruiser-racer and are manufacturing one of these.

Normally around here, when you talk of a fast cruiser, you are talking of a cruiser-racer, boats with a relatively good (or even very good) interior, made for fast cruising and for club racing, with a crew and most of them optimized for IRC racing. Boats like First, Performance line by Dufour, Performance line by Elan, Dehler, X-yacht, Arcona, Finngulf are just some examples. These boats are better sailing boats, adapted to cruising, more seaworthy and more expensive than their pure cruising siblings.

But the boats that I am talking about have little in common with these boats, First they are not designed taking into account any rule, except the design rules to make them faster and safer, second they are not aiming at crews, but at the solo sailor and third they have not luxury interiors, but solid, light and functional interiors, I would say very basic interiors. They make the sailing part of cruising the principal object of their design.

They are the opposite of modern mass production boats. While for the typical mass production cruiser, living at the marina is one of the principal design directives, on these ones, sailing is what matters, and having pleasure while doing it, the objective . These babies are made to go fast and away, out on the bluewater and can outperform any of the cruiser-racers that I have referred to….I mean a 35ft of these can outperform any 40ft of those .

As you can suspect, I am a big fan, but unfortunately, even produced in small series these boats are expensive. They are made with the best materials, hi-tech everywhere except on the furniture and, as I have said on another thread, a very good and well built sailing boat with a basic interior will be much more expensive than a basic sailboat with a good interior and I would add, unfortunately .

Let us talk about the Pogo 10,5. I will post some photos and the link….and if you are interested, just ask and I can probably add some more information. If you like it, please post some feedback.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-12-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook