SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dr. Diesel, Foley Engines, and me...
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010

skipgundlach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Skip,

I hope that you find some small satisfaction that others are learning from your nightmare.
Well, yes, that was sort of the idea. My bad for not doing my usual obsessive research before succumbing (see below) to the pressures of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post

FWIW, I've always been happy with the service and info from the folks at TransAtlantic Diesel (TAD). They're very easy to work with and know Perkins engines well.
As I mused, after all this got put out, and got many recommendations to the same place, I recalled that I'd started there (TAD). I've had satisfactory dealings with them in the past.

I'd started this process trying to find a service outfit, including contacting the wrench-benders when I didn't do all that well on the internet searching (most places don't have a site, but are listed in a search by location and phone number), to find who they used for rebuilding. Not getting any real solid assurances for local success, I gave up and started to look for folks like TAD and Foley.

You'll recall from the original post that I called about 5:45 PM. I only called Foley cuz TAD, my first call, was closed. And, my intent at the time was to just get some basic information, not do the deal. Dr. Diesel's abrupt manner threw me off stride, and, you saw the process I went through to get to them.

His actual manner aside (deprecating, insulting), I can't fault his salesmanship; I'd likely have done the same, but not in the same tone or vein. Looking at the conversation in the original, his points were valid, and the deal was good. Presentation sucked, however. And the bait-and-switch, when I was stuck, because I didn't have the luxury of getting them back (my bad, actually, again because I was so rushed, and once again about to go out the door on my various trips from my "base" at my daughter-in-law's, limiting my ability to do further followup for GA-based solutions), for not remembering to check my enclosed letter which would have reminded me that it was $395, not $495 for the 4-pack special, before responding to their initial demand.

I'm off to stainless steel polishing, having finally finished mowing and rolling, so to speak, the grass under the boat. Very few barnacles, those very small, but I was starting to look like Bubba Schwartz!

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
See our galleries at Web-Folio -- Your Portfolio on the Web !
Follow us at TheFlyingPigLog : Morgan 461 Hull #2, Flying Pig
and/or Flying Pig Log | Google Groups

The Society for the Preservation of Tithesis commends your ebriated
and scrutible use of delible and defatigable, which are gainly, sipid
and couth. We are gruntled and consolate that you have the ertia and
eptitude to choose such putably pensible tithesis, which we parage.

>>Stamp out Sesquipedalianism<<
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook