SailNet Community - View Single Post - *&%&$#ing Leak!
Thread: *&%&$#ing Leak!
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Catalinas do have a problem with condensation. If yours did not, I would be shocked.

The port ligths leak (especially the oval ones). When mine leak, they leak behind the strips of wood that catalina runs around them. If you have never rebedded them, they are probably due anyways.

What I have done and would do is to get the bilge totally dry. Then sprinkle some flour around the outside around the bilge. Then grab a waterhose and on the hull and spray all around the hull. Check for leaks. You will see where it is coming in at from the water trail. If the hull (port lights) and deck joint are really tight, move to the stern. Keep spraying and repeat. Then move to midship port and startboard. Then move to the bow. Do the bow last because on that boat everything runs aft. If you complete all that and no leaks, you are down to T-hull fittings and/or condensation/and or water running down the mast. Make sure you have sprinkled flour under the mast where the compression post dumps to make sure you can really rule that out. IN a hard rain, water will run down the wires, esp since 99% of the time, there are no drip loops! Ugh!

You will chekc all your T-hull fittings the same way, flour around them.

Make sure your water tanks and lines are bone dry before doing all this. It is not uncommon for a hose to chafe and leak a bit. We have had a problem with some of our 400's on that.

I owned a 320. Great sailing boats. Nothing like turngin inside your own wake! Hope you get it all figured out soon!!!

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook